My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

We're off to see the wizard


Last night the Mr. took me see the ever popular musical Wicked. We have been hearing nothing but praises about this show and had to see for ourselves what all the noise what about. Before I launch into my review of the show I must tell you what happened on our way to the theater. I know it sounds like the set up for a joke but it's not. We try to live our lives as much as possible without allowing the fear of terrorism to interfere. But we can't turn a blind eye to it either especially living in a city like London. Not to mention it's the holiday season and we've been reading about some foiled plots recently. So onto the subway we go and notice immediately that there is a lone briefcase near our seats. At the very same moment another couple notices and we begin to ask the passengers around us if it belongs to them. Everyone looks at us as if we are speaking Chinese and don't seem at all bothered that there is an unclaimed briefcase on the subway. At the next stop Zach and I hop off and tell the conductor what we found. He then completely stops the tube to investigate and then makes an announcement that everyone has to get off the tube. Some passengers huffed and puffed and some understood. Zach and I couldn't get away fast enough. We actually got a knot in our stomach. It was weird. Were we over reacting? I don't think so, not by today's standards. Will I let fear control my life? No, but I won't turn a blind eye either. Anyway, back to Wicked. Wicked was fun because I love the story of the Wizard of Oz and the costumes and set design were amazing. However, I was disappointed with some of the performances. On one number the prince's voice cracked, twice! The dancers were on the heavy side which made the lifts slow and made me nervous. At times I felt as if I was watching a high school production. Thank God for the two lead females who were great. I felt like there were in a different show. In Sept. we saw Guys and Dolls which blew me away. The dance numbers left me in awe. The songs were incredible and the cast was great. I am happy we saw Wicked, I was just expecting so much more.

2 Comments:

Blogger luquitas said...

You omitted the story about the briefcase when you said you went to see the play. As you say, you can't let fear dictate your life.

Love,

Mom

2:49 PM  
Blogger martinb said...

hey ana!

finally i also got an account... i was almost second comment on your site, but i failed to log in.... so now i have to read through your storys. great to hear that your doing very fine.. back here in austria - my daughter is already 4 1/2 years old and is doing fine... so know i will write more... big kiss and hey to your family!!

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home